* Boi - who, what and why?
Five piece band from
Wales. Musicians with a load of different tastes and experience put
in a pot to see what comes out. So far so good....
* Describe your sound to a hard of hearing alien.
Big, bold, melodic.
Hard to define - as someone described us 'could be from any decade,
but inspired by the best of them'.
* Who are your heroes / heroines - musical, artistic, sporting, political,
Anyone who puts themselves
out there really.
* You've all been active in bands previously, how has this helped
The pandemic has
been the hardest thing about getting the band going and sustaining the
energy it takes to get something out there. We've only been able to
get in one room once, and everyone knew the drill, so that was cool
- working with pros.
* Your debut album Coron O Chwinc is very enjoyable, how did you
manage to record
it over Lockdown?
that. Yeah, welll quite a bit of it was done but everyone just recorded
their parts. It was cool to see the different versions as the layers
were added. Everyone brought something to the party, and then Daf Ieuan
gave it his treatment.
* Have you been surprised / pleased with the reaction it's received?
It's felt a bit detached
really, but its been great to have a positive response in reviews and
stuff. It's always a gamble, but you've got to just feel happy that
you gave it a shot, and proud of what you put out. You never know how
it'll play out....for me, you let it go minute it's released in a way...
* There are a couple of other bands with a similar name. Has this lead
to any amusing
misunderstandings? (ignore this question if not!)
Not that I know of. I
know it has different connotations, and that ambiguity is part of what
we liked about it. BOI's a term of endearment where we come from, like
saying 'mate' or 'love', but with a bit of attitude. I say it a lot,
Osh says it...kind of stuck.
* Apologies that this interview is in English; I quit Welsh aged
12 as my parents wanted me to learn Latin instead (strange choices at
our school back then). What decisions do you regret? (FYI I am now trying
to catch up on Duolingo)
It's cool that you're
relearning Welsh. No regrets man, I'm not a nostalgic person...
* Do your past achievements hang heavy on you or is it easy to be new
Refer to the answer
given above ????
* In these scary times, can music make a difference?
Of course. Life without
art would be shit.
* Would you consider playing in Swansea for us, and what would be
on your ideal rider?
Open to offers....
Thanks to Boi
for their time and Aled at Beast PR for sharing the joy.
Coron O Chwinc is out now in all the usual places.
Follow Boi here