So hows life with The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club?
- The better it gets, the more shit comes with it! Every bit of sunshine
always casts another shadow. But thats just the way it goes. Were
very lucky; a year ago we were just playing supports in venues this
size and now were headlining in them. I dont think wed
still be doing this if we were still back there. Id like to say
we had this all or nothing spirit where youd keep going regardless,
but for us that would be like nothing. Like a lot of bands, for us there
has to be a reason, there has to be an inspiration; if no one was listening
and no was giving a shit then I dont know that the point would
still be the same. Its not all about big success, thats
a misconception, its about having it clear and tangible and in
your hands what youre about and why youre there, in peoples
ears and in peoples hearts. It doesnt mean it has to be
the whole world but it does have to be something.
(J) What songs do you play while youre hoovering?
* (J) Hoovering!?
- Whats that?
* (J) You know, ummm ... Vacuuming!
- Uhh... [Very long pause] Do you know, I dont think Ive
ever vacuumed!! ell I havent vacuumed for a while, I havent
had a place for a while. Its a good question though!
* (R, looking at Rob's T-shirt) My Bloody Valentine would
be good, you could probably hear their rhythm section through the din.
- Ha ha! Right now Ive been listening to some soul stuff, I tend
to get obsessed with things and listen to lots of them and then ...
* (R) At the moment Im a bit obsessed with The Ramones as I
got a book about them for Christmas. Have you got a favourite Ramones
- Yeah, Beat on the Brat.
(J) Do you look up to The Jesus and Mary Chain? Do you think you
sound like them?
- Well do you think we sound like them?
* (J) Umm, well ...
* (R) Its not so much the sound as the whole look and image,
you must admit that you could have walked out of one of their videos!
- Yeah of course. We like their image, or lack of it, the whole No Logo
thing, just the T shirts and jeans, they were just so cool so of course
that influenced us, theyre one of the coolest bands to have influence
you. But do we sound like them? I dont think we sound similar
(J) What do you like best, squirrels or badgers?
* (R) Theres a secret significance to this question ...
- Which is to ask us if we have a sense of humour. And sadly the answer
is No. But I did once kill a squirrel, with a rock, I was
just throwing the rock towards it and it hit it and killed it; I didnt
mean to... I suppose it taught me that actions have consequences, which
was a useful lesson to learn.
* (R) So thats one nil to the badgers then!!
* (J) No, squirrels are more useful see, even in death!
(R) Kurt Cobains tenth anniversary is coming up, and were
organising a tribute night where people play versions of his songs.
Whats your favourite Kurt song, or which ones would you cover?
* (J) Im gonna do Drain You
(R) I think you once said that the point of art is to question
whats going on; do you think that politics and music go
- No, not for long or they both eat each other, they cant co-exist
for long. At the moment only anger comes from politics, but our new
album, which has been seen as making a statement, has a lot more to
it than that, it deals with a load more things and only engages with
politics in the twinkle of an eye.
(J) Last question, whats best, chip (fries) or cream buns?
- What are cream buns?!
* (J) Theyre like pastries with lots of cream in.
- Then its got to be chips. Whats your favourite sauce?
* (J) Mayonnaise, whats yours?
- Its gotta be ketchup!
* (J) I see, thank you very much.
also to Claire at APB for sorting things out.
Cooper Temple Clause also played!